Our lives are often times very hectic and chaotic. We don’t always stop and appreciate the small things happening all around us. In this day and age, it is important to make a conscious effort to recognize the small things or moments that fill us with joy and wonder or make us insanely happy. Below are a few of our favorite things or special moments we’ve experienced from this past week. We’d love to hear about yours as well!
1. Fun Moments with my Husband and Movies. My husband and I watched the remake of Footloose this past week. While the movie was pretty cute it is not something I will probably ever watch again. So, why is this one of my favorite moments of this week? Well, this is largely because my husband and I had a blast trying to spot all the many, many similarities it had to the original movie. Trust me, there are tons of references to the original from the opening credits to the very end. As the final credits started rolling, I couldn’t help but feel extremely nostalgic for the original, Kevin Bacon version which I plan on watching this coming weekend to get my fix. Am I the only one who can’t listen to Kenny Loggin’s song Footloose without tapping my toes along with it? Watch the video, and try not to move your feet. I dare to you! ”Everybody Cut Loose!”
2. Shopping and Great New Finds. Shopping at Target at least once a week is a pretty normal occurrence in my household. It is my absolute, hands down favorite store. If I could only pick one store to shop at for the rest of my life, it would be Target. This week, I was thrilled to happen upon a totally cute and super sweet little necklace in the accessory section. For many of my fellow Pinterest addicts, it will look familiar as I’ve seen a very similar necklace pop up quite often. The necklace from Target is only $4.99 and comes with a cute pair of flower earrings as well.
3. Spring time and New Life Blooming all around me. Spring is definitely in the air here in Nebraska. It seems like everyday I notice a different tree has decided to bloom in my neighborhood, but my favorite blossoming tree this year is in my very own backyard. I have no idea what kind of tree it is, but it is truly lovely!
1. Home - After being away from home for vacation, there’s nothing like walking back into your own abode, dropping the suitcases to the floor and falling onto your bed. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE to travel! However, home is the one place you can completely be yourself. You don’t have to get fully dressed before having breakfast like you do at the hotels. Nothing says “home” better than cooking bacon and eggs in the kitchen while in your pj’s with your hair messed up! Ha ha!
2. Magic & Humor – This week, at my son’s Cub Scout Pack Meeting, they had a special guest. They had a Magician who was also going to teach the boys (and girls) all about Safety with Electricity. I will be honest and say that I was a little worried this was going to be really boring. I mean, who can make electricity safety fun? Boy was I proved wrong! This magician was not only great at what he does with magic, but he was HILARIOUS! He did a fabulous job of engaging not only all the children (and we are talking about A LOT of children at a Pack Meeting), but he kept the adults laughing their pants off with all of his puns and adult innuendos. It was such an entertaining event. To top the night off, he needed an assistant and he picked my daughter! When he came walking out to her in the audience and said he wanted her to help him, I thought for sure she was going to refuse. While she is quite the card around our family and friends, she is rather reserved in public settings and doesn’t like to be on display. Quite to my surprise, she jumped right up and went with him! Apparently this is something she has always wanted to do! I was so thankful I had brought my video recorder so I could capture that moment forever. She was the CUTEST Magician’s Assistant ever! He had her tear up a bunch of tissue paper, put it in a bag, wave the wand and the torn paper turned into a cute yellow & black bonnet with a bow on it! He put it on her head and sent her away. She loves this bonnet and it was such a great experience for her!
3. Parental Pride - This week was report card week along with Parent Teacher Conferences. My husband and I are extremely proud of the children as they are doing so well in school! My son got straight A’s and my Peanut has met and exceeded all of her Kindergarten goals! They received several awards at the Honors Assembly for their achievements in reading and citizenship as well. It’s a great moment to see them be recognized for all of their hard work and perseverance!
We hope you enjoyed our weekly reflections on our favorite things! What were your favorite things this week?
~ Chrissy & Alicia